Thursday 20 December 2012

Finding Perfection in Imperfection




Size: 12” x 12”
Materials and Techniques: Hand-dyed and commercial cotton fabrics for top and backing. Fusible applique, free motion quilting.

I love those leaves of salad or oregon grape that turn brilliant as they die in a blast of glorious colour. The motivation for this quilt comes from those imperfect leaves.



As you can see I didn’t try for an exact copy, but instead used the colours and shapes as inspiration. I'm really enjoying the abstract approach to quilting.  I can zone out while I choose fabrics and I'm not getting too fussed on accuracy or realism.  I'm enjoying the interplay of colour and shape.
I lost some detail as I cropped my quilt down to size. (And I did it again today on another quilt!) Oh well, live and learn.




Here's a close-up.



No comments:

Post a Comment