Thursday, 22 August 2013

Summer began with a very successful Studio Tour in June, followed by some enthusiastic groups of visitors through July and August.

Still, I found time to spend outside with some fabric dyes.  Here is a selection of pieces that I dyed in the last few weeks.  Techniques that I used included:

scrunch dyeing
wheat paste resist
thickened procion dyes
graduated dyeing
deconstructive silkscreening
line dyeing
silk dyeing
fold dyeing
rusty objects

Some of these pieces are going to make great backgrounds!

Here is one such example; the background was dyed using a multiple fold method, and several dips into various shades of green.  Now I am in the process of painting a pear branch onto the fabric using a variety of pigment pencils and crayons, blended with textile medium.  Still to come is the stitching!

Here is a piece that started out with white fabric onto which I have painted silk dyes.  Next I am adding details with Tsukineko inks.  This will be heat set, and then stitched....

And here is a more abstract piece, also in progress.  I am considering this layout, then I will stitch it down with embroidery threads, and probably add paint too!

Plein air painting with dyes onto fabric.

 Painting on fabric with watercolour crayons and textile medium.

This piece is still in layout format. The next step is to stitch, then go in with some thread painting, and some oils.  The background fabric has the deconstructive silkscreening process used on it.

Another at the same stage.

Now when the cool weather comes I am ready to spend some time at the sewing machine with all these pieces to complete.

This one is a watercolour on PAPER!  It's a plein air painting I did one afternoon in a friend's backyard.