Wednesday 9 January 2013

An Apple A Day, Plus One!

This art quilt was for the theme "Repetition"

The size is approx 12” x 12”























The materials are hand dyed cottons, silkscreen paints, oil sticks, polyester embroidery threads. Cotton batting and backing.

This quilt was for a theme back in October, 2009, when there were apples, apples everywhere. I have about a dozen fruit trees to look after and 6 of them are apples. Applesauce, dried apples, apple jelly, frozen apples, apple pie, fresh apples. And now in December I’m still up to my eyeballs in apples.

This piece started with a piece of magenta dyed cotton.  I then stamped it with an apple design I had carved onto a meat tray with a ball point pen. I used silk screen paints put onto the meat tray with a paintbrush, using the colours I wanted. The design didn’t show up very well on the darker fabric so I overpainted and used oil sticks.  I used doilies and oil sticks creating the background, and finally the quilting adds detail to the apples and gold coloured polyester embroidery threads added an extra layer to the background.



No comments:

Post a Comment