Friday 27 June 2014

My Favourite Things. aka Flower Power





Size 12” x 12”


Materials: Hand dyed and commercial cottons, polyester embroidery threads, DMC cotton embroidery threads, cotton batting, polyester batting, cording.


Techniques: I retrieved a practice piece which had the central daisy appliqued onto a crazy block. I had been practicing cording by machine. I cut this block into a vase shape and machine appliqued it onto the green hand dyed. I then free-cut out flower petals and various shapes from my baggy full of “Scraps with Fusible”. I used only what was in the baggy. I then fused the bunch down and did some free motion machine embroidery on top using coloured threads. Then I did some cotton hand embroidery with DMC. Before quilting I machine basted around the edges, because it was so thick, and finally quilted the top using the double batting (cotton on bottom, poly on top).

This was a fun way to begin a project – with something already on hand! The subject was easy, because flowers are one of my favourite things, and because flowers are so forgiving when represented this way. Overall I’m pleased with the effect. The crazy block hides in the background giving some depth that wouldn’t otherwise be there. Hmmm. Maybe I’ll try this again…








No comments:

Post a Comment